History & Governance
Who are the Founding Partners?
CivicInfo BC was initiated in 1998 by a partnership of seven key organizations in the BC local government field, who formed a strategic partnership to investigate ways to encourage and facilitate information sharing within the sector. Mandated by the enthusiastic response to consultations in the form of a Needs Assessment survey and focus groups, the partners put seed funding in place to plan and launch the service. The founding organizations (1998 names) were:
- British Columbia Assessment Authority
- Local Government Institute, University of Victoria
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs, Government of British Columbia
- Municipal Finance Authority of British Columbia
- Municipal Officers Association of British Columbia
- Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia
- Union of British Columbia Municipalities
How is CivicInfo BC run?
CivicInfo BC is governed by a 17 member Board of Directors that provides overall policy guidance and general governance to the CivicInfo BC Society.
The Boards structure is similar to that of a BC regional district. Nine directors are appointed by professional organizations, six directors are appointed by member communities through regional chapters of the Local Government Management Association of British Columbia, and two serve in an "at large" capacity. The two at large directors are elected each June at our Annual General Meeting, held during the Local Government Management Associations annual conference.
A complete listing of staff and board members can be found on our Contact Us page.
What are CivicInfo BCs key values and goals?
We work collaboratively with other organizations to encourage excellence in local government. Our goals:
- To promote collaboration across local governments through sharing information,
and facilitating the transfer of expertise.
- To co-ordinate, provide access to, and to distribute high-quality information resources
to the BC local government sector.
- To provide BC communities with a cost-effective, user-friendly information gateway
that is equally accessible to all regardless of geographic location.
- To provide resources in support of local government decision making as municipalities and regional districts move toward increasing self-sufficiency.
Our Core ValuesWe are service-driven.
We are collaborative.
We are co-operative.
We are entrepreneurial.