Property Development Officer IIRequisition ID: 1723
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This is an exciting opportunity to bring your real estate knowledge and join our dynamic team working a large variety of high profile projects for the City. The Property Development Officer II performs advanced professional work involving complex financial/proforma and feasibility analysis of major development proposals and local area planning studies, negotiating complex property transactions such as community amenity contributions and heritage bonuses, detailed investigations and research projects used in the formulation of important civic policies, and representing the Department as landowner or technical advisor.
This position reports directly to the Manager of Property Development who in turn reports to the Associate Director of Real Estate Services (Development) and Director of Real Estate Services.
Contact with high ranking appointed and elected officials as well as members of the development, construction, lending, real estate, appraisal and architectural community is also required to be maintained as the incumbent formulates policies, conducts analysis of projects and explains decisions to those concerned.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts specialized financial/proforma analysis of complex major development proposals of both City and privately-owned properties as well as the economic evaluation of City Policies and local area planning studies.
- Coordinates the proforma requirements and evaluates the submissions for applications such as transfer of density, heritage and amenity bonuses, zoning relaxations and other development and investment analysis. Negotiates with developers to secure community amenity contributions, agree terms for Rental 100 projects and heritage bonuses.
- Confers with other civic officials, outside bodies, and key members of the real estate and development industry to identify conceptual valuation issues and determines appropriate appraisal and investment methodology/return measures for evaluating development/planning proposals.
- Prepares detailed research and analysis to advise on the formulation and economic evaluation of City Policies.
- Negotiates major property acquisitions and markets surplus development sites. Prepares detailed public information packages for marketing/tendering properties including property data and terms of sale/lease. Responds to all development inquiries and evaluates submitted offers or tenders.
- Represents the Department on various technical committees and as required attends Council and public meetings as landowner or technical advisor.
- Project management of the design and construction of commercial leasehold space in non-market developments on City owned land and work with consultant teams to optimize development potential on City lands.
- Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
University graduation in Urban Land Economics and/or a discipline supplemented by a post-graduate degree in Business Administration. A minimum of eight years experience in the real estate industry including five years working in property development, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of property values, real estate market conditions and trends in Vancouver, lending and development practices, development proforma analysis, valuation methodology and investment analysis.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgement and independence in performing the work.
- Ability to perform complex development appraisal tasks and to negotiate with property owners and developers for community and heritage bonuses, the acquisition, development and sale of land.
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and multi task under tight deadlines.
- Ability to initiate plan, organize, assign and review the work of a project team and or subordinates.
- Comfortable working through ambiguity and can balance the need for process and structure with the need to meet deadlines.
- Thorough knowledge of the development permit and rezoning processes, functions of development related boards/panels, the City by laws (including zoning and development, ODPs, subdivision and parking), bonusing policies/methodology, etc.
- Considerable knowledge of the activities of various City departments relating to property and development matters.
- Ability to interpret and apply regulations and guidelines to analyze major development/rezoning applications and to recommend alternatives if problems are encountered.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and working relationships with members of City Council, the business community, senior management and representatives of other civic departments and government agencies.
- Ability to prepare and coordinate detailed and complex reports and Council Reports on property and development matters and to review reports of subordinates.
- Ability to initiate plan, organize and review the work of consultants.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgement and independence in performing the work, strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Able to articulately convey messages to internal groups and external stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and multi task under tight deadlines
- A high work ethic, self-confident and self-aware.
- Professional Membership in the Real Estate Institute of B.C, Appraisal Institute of Canada or the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors is an asset.
- A valid B.C. driver's license is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the department.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Number of Positions: 2
Position Start Date: April 18, 2017
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-034: $53.20 to $62.93 per hour
Application Close: March 27, 2017
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Real Estate
Posted: March 20, 2017, 12:26 pm
Expires: March 27, 2017, 11:45 pm