IT Help Centre Technician I
Requisition ID: 1270
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The IT Help Centre provides a single point of contact for City of Vancouver staff for all information technology and telecommunications support services and operates 7a m to 10:30 pm weekdays and 8 am to 8 pm weekends and public holidays.
The Help Centre Technician will provide a high level of professional customer service through a variety of telephone, e-mail, and remote support interactions. This involves analytical and technically oriented troubleshooting work to provide support for computer applications, telecommunications devices, computer hardware and network communication equipment. This work involves rotating after hours shifts and working alone shifts in a secured phone centre room. Must be able to handle large volume of incoming calls and wear a headset at all times while taking calls and may have to sit for long periods of time.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Responds to client requests for assistance or information
- Records request and troubleshoots with client's assistance software, hardware and network communication problems
- Identifies nature of problems and provides resolution requirements
- Assists in developing solutions
- Refers problems to appropriate technical staff or vendor representatives if unable to resolve
- Tracks and follows up on problems to resolution
- Resolves an array of technical problems, remotely diagnosing and resolving by applying patches, executing scripts and other technical fixes
- Provides advice and assistance to clients regarding various computer related problems such as logging on, invalid or expired passwords, improper computer settings, printing and communication difficulties, complex financial transactions, and custom applications written by in-house developers to perform specific computer tasks.
- Provides informal training as required
- Identifies gaps in knowledge base materials, user documentation, websites and reference material
- Provides users and other technical staff updates as required
- Completion of a certificate program in computer sciences or related discipline at a technical institute or community college plus sound related experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and related experience is required, along with a minimum 6 months experience working in an IT service desk support role
- Experience working in a high volume service desk and working in a public sector or service oriented environment is an asset
- It is also an asset to have related certifications including HDI Support Centre Analyst Certificate, ITIL Certifications, or equivalent IT support certification
- Must have the ability to operate call-centre technologies including incident tracking systems, automatic call distributor call queues, call status reader boards, and information management systems
- Must have strong communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to listen and discern what information is significant when handling enquiries, complaints and service requests with promptness, tact, diplomacy and accuracy combined with the ability to assess the nature of requests and determine those which can be resolved and those requiring referral
- Must have ability to work as a team member and independently, including work alone shifts
- Ability to establish positive and effective working relationships with technical staff and with clients
An Enhanced Reliability Check security clearance is a requirement of this position.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume in one file, in PDF or Word format.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: 02/01/2017
Position End Date: 03/31/2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-020: $28.9 to $34.01 per hour
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: January 20, 2017
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.