Animal Control Officer I
Requisition ID: 501
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January 30, 2017
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-018: $26.63 to $31.34 per hour
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function:
The City of Vancouver is seeking applications to fill the challenging and diverse role of an Animal Control Officer 1 - Regular Full Time with Non-Standard Hours of Work. The successful candidate will report to the Animal Control Supervisors, and will help to maintain public safety and promote responsible pet ownership which is essential to the service. The successful candidate will bring excellent communications skills, and have the ability to influence behaviour through education and enforcement when needed. Applicants for this challenging position possess a collaborative working style, work well in a team environment and can work well with little supervision. It is expected that you will have experience in customer service, by-law enforcement and working with animals, particularly dogs (including but not limited to capturing and physically restraining aggressive dogs). Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential to the position in order to educate pet owners about the by-laws, responsible pet ownership, and to determine how to proceed in widely varied circumstances. The successful applicant will be a practiced investigator and will have experience preparing files for prosecution and testifying in court. The successful applicant will be required to conduct foot and bike patrols throughout the City as well as drive a marked City vehicle.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The Animal Control Officer 1 position requires the applicant to have strong investigative skills, attention to detail and sufficient knowledge about the Animal Control Bylaws.
The responsibilities of the Animal Control Officer 1 are:
- To perform investigative and regulatory work, patrol the City of Vancouver parks and public spaces;
- Educate the public about the Vancouver Charter as it relates to Animal Control By-law 9150 and ensure public safety;
- While on duty, the Animal Control Officer 1 responds to and investigates complaints, impounds and transports stray animals, handles the storage and identification of deceased animals, issues AC Warning Notices and tickets (By-law Violation Notices);
- Assists with collecting evidence and statements for investigations;
- The successful applicant will be responsible for handling potentially dangerous animals;
- Responsible for ensuring all vehicles and equipment are fully functional, clean and stocked;
- Required to maintain a detailed and professional note book and may be required to attend court proceedings;
- The successful applicant will be required to work evenings and weekends, be capable of patrolling parks, beaches and city streets by foot, bike and vehicle during operational hours including times when there is limited daylight.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent supplemented by post-secondary courses in Criminology and By-Law Enforcement & Investigative Skills is preferred;
- Considerable experience related to investigations and enforcement (including testifying in court) care, handling and training of dogs and other animals such as various species of, reptiles, birds, mammals and amphibians is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A working knowledge of the principles, methods and equipment related to the handling of vicious, stray or sick animals;
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required and effective verbal and written communication skills are required;
- The successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to manage and defuse conflict with people from all levels of socio-economic status;
- Good physical condition, strength and agility are required for all aspects of the Animal Control Officer 1 position, including long amounts of time spent conducting foot patrol, managing and lifting large dogs and heavy articles;
- Ability to handle injured and possibly vicious animals with minimum personal risk;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel and other database software applications;
- Considerable knowledge of the street system of Vancouver;
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- A Police Record Check clearance is required for this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
**Testing may be administered**
Application Close: January 20, 2017