Project Manager - (1049)
Victoria - Victoria, BC V8W 9T5 CA (Primary)
Hours per Week
# of Hires Needed
BC Transit is a provincial crown corporation and coordinates the delivery of safe, reliable, cost-efficient and market-focused transit services in British Columbia outside of the Greater Vancouver region. Working in partnership with local governments and private companies, BC Transit provides direct services in fleet acquisition and management, contract administration, transit planning, marketing and financial services.
This position is based in Victoria which is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. Victoria (regional population 330,000) is the capital of British Columbia and a community of choice for many, due to our temperate climate, natural beauty and diverse economic opportunities. Victoria is an international resort destination with a transportation network that includes airport, helicopter and seaplane services, buses, ferry and cruise ships.
The successful candidate will participate as a member of the Fleet Engineering team involved in fleet management and procurement projects.
- Manages the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of multiple and multi scaled fleet management projects, including the acquisition of vehicles and mid-life refurbishment projects;
- Assists in the development of revenue, non-revenue, refurbishment and other related fleet engineering project business cases and project charters. Development includes the scope of the project, project cost estimates and budget, project deliverables, business requirements, business processes and acceptance stages;
- Manages the budget, scope and schedules of vehicle acquisition, mid-life refurbishment and other Fleet Engineering projects;
- Collaborates with internal procurement staff to manage fleet related acquisitions, developing technical specifications for procurement processes (RFP, ITQ, RFQ, etc), facilitating technical evaluation committee leading to recommendation of preferred supplier. Coordinates with departments to ensure key deliverables and contract milestones are met for RFP’s.
- Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Requirements include resource allocations, budget decisions and project deliverables based on the current and future business requirements;
- Manages contracts to ensure all contractual requirements and deliverables are met for vehicle acquisitions and refurbishment projects;
- Ensures all project document requirements (work breakdown structures, work completions, capital progress reports, Board reports, etc.) are completed, current, and stored appropriately;
- Reports, as necessary, updates to the Directors, Executive, Capital Project Budgeting Committee, the user business areas and other stakeholders in relation to the planning, implementation and progress of the project;
- Builds and maintains regular and effective communications with the suppliers, contractors and manufacturers to ensure project success and prompt and effective resolution of project issues.
- Identifies issues and risks to the completion of the project and make recommendations for resolution, or corrective action.
- Acts as a technical expert in regards to Fleet Engineering projects, where knowledgeable; otherwise engaging BC Transit Fleet Asset Management resources when required;
- Researches and makes recommendations on new fleet technology. This may include technical evaluation, engineering analysis and cost/benefit analysis of vehicles, products and technologies, safety requirements and related implications, and environmental impacts. Development and implementation of performance analysis procedures may also be required.
- May coordinate the work of contract engineers, and oversee the department co-op student program which involves co-coordinating the hiring and supervision of students.
- Performs related duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job
Education and Experience
- The technical requirements for this job would typically be acquired through a university degree in engineering, and one to three years of experience in project management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of, and comfort with vehicles and their main components;
- Knowledge of the concepts, practices and techniques of the asset lifecycle management, particularly as they relate to vehicle fleets;
- Knowledge of the concepts, practices and techniques of the engineering field
- Knowledge of corporate strategies, functions and programs;
- Knowledge of the relevant policies, procedures and legislation;
- Planning and coordination skills to manage projects, develop plans and procedures, and coordinate programs;
- Communication and interpersonal skills to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships, including all levels of staff, government partners, manufacturers, and other industry vendors and contractors;
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills to provide technical advice and engineering-related problem resolution;
- People leadership skills to coordinate work with contractors and oversee co-op students;
- Research and analytical skills to identify, analyze make recommendations on new technologies.
Planning and Prioritization - Proactively plans and organizes work activities and priorities; manages several tasks at once.
Accountability - Assumes responsibility for successfully accomplishing work goals and objectives and consistently delivering results; setting high standards of performance for self and others.
Decision Making - Obtains information; identifies key issues and implications to make informed, objective decisions.
Interpersonal Relationships - Develops and maintains effective relationships with others, relates well to people from varied backgrounds and in different situations, show understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy and politeness.
Innovation - Develops new insights into situations and applies different and novel solutions to make improvements.
Adaptability - Adapts quickly to change and easily considers new approaches.
Technical Knowledge and Adaptability - Applies and acquires new knowledge and skills including new and emerging trends or information in the industry; sets and pursues learning/ growth opportunities and goals.
Collaboration - Works cooperatively with others, inside and outside the organization, to accomplish objectives to build and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships, leverage information, and achieve results.
Communication - Utilizes strong verbal and written skills to communicate to diverse audiences; communicates respectfully, clearly and accurately in a timely manner; recognizes and responds to cultural differences; listens actively and asks questions to understand viewpoints of others
- Full Time temporary position until approximately March 31, 2019 with a possible extension.
- Completion of a criminal record check is required.
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies.
- Extensive group benefits (medical, extended health, life insurance) and pension program once eligible.
- Fitness centre, health and wellness programs, and an employee and family assistance counseling program
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Project Management
Posted: February 16, 2017, 12:29 pm
Expires: March 1, 2017, 4:30 pm