BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Communications Operator (Casual)
IAFF – Local 2848
Date of Posting: June 12, 2019
Closing Date: June 26, 2019
Work Schedule: Will fill a variety of full and casual shifts:
The position will cover annual leave, training, and sick leave of other operators. Other shifts are on call as scheduled by management.
Work is conducted in a 24hr emergency E911 operation. Full shifts are 12 hrs. Casual shifts are a minimum of 2hrs to a maximum of 12hrs.
Casual positions must be flexible.In some instances, the Casual Operator may be required to accept a shift even on short notice (eg. 6hrs).
Pay: Starting $31.58/hr + 15% in lieu of benefits Regulated by IAFF 2848 contract.
Probation: Equivalent to the aggregate of ninety (12hr) shifts Further information available at: www.cityoflangford.ca/fire
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED IN CONFIDENCE until 12:00 pm, Wednesday, June 26, 2019 by email to email@example.com (please identify the position you are applying for in the subject of your email) or to the attention of Human Resources, City of Langford, 2nd Floor, 877 Goldstream Avenue, Langford, BC, V9B 2X8.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview and testing will be contacted.
Key Duties:This position is comprised of responsible skilled technical work involving the receipt and recording of enhanced 911 emergency calls, general complaints and requests for assistance from the public. It also involves the dispatch of fire units to deal with those complaints in accordance with Communications Centre Operational Policies and Procedures, conforming to all directives and instructions. The minimum requirements will be based on NFPA guidelines 1061 and 1221 operator qualifications.
This position is in the Communications Division and reports to the Assistant Chief Communications and Emergency Coordination.
- Professional Office Setting (with frequent, urgent radio and phone traffic)
- Independent fast paced work day and night (24hr operation)
- Prolonged sitting / standing with restricted movement in a fixed area
- Deal with Emergency Situations and respond quickly to fixed deadlines.
- Deal with complaints and people in distress
- Concentrate on concurrent calls (radio and telephone) and tasks
- Monitor communications equipment for long periods of time
- View computer monitors and cameras for long periods of time.
Knowledge Skill and Ability:
- Previous dispatch experience
- Previous dispatch with FDM CAD and use of FDM RMS
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Reliability and flexibility.
- Knowledge of Fire Department and Emergency Service Functions; possessing sufficient knowledge to differentiate between fire prevention, fire suppression, support services and specialty skills within the Fire Service.
- Knowledge of Municipal Government functions.
- Experience operating a busy switchboard
- Public Safety Courses
- Volunteer work
- Fire Service and Communications Courses
- Familiar with the geographical area, landmarks, major buildings, and hazards of (Malahat South) Vancouver Island and Southern Gulf Islands
- No Criminal Record that adversely affects the public trust (dated within last 6 months)
- Proven (Audiogram dated within last 6 months*) sound hearing and effective listening skill
- Extensive Computer training and experience with modern systems and databases
- Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant
- Proof of the ability to type 40 wpm from an accredited source
- Education – BC Secondary School Grade 12 or Equivalent
- Customer Service Experience
- Employment history which demonstrates responsibility, positive attitude, initiative and problem solving
- Ability to operate communications equipment
- Three personal references as well as previous employer(s) / supervisor(s)
- Restricted Radio Operators License*
- The ability to work promptly and efficiently while under stress.
- Clear and effective oral and written communications
- Exercise sound judgement.
2nd Floor · 877 Goldstream Avenue · Langford, BC Canada · V9B 2X8
T · 250-478-7882 F · 250-478-7864