BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Planning Assistant III (City-wide Plan)Requisition ID: 14215
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The City-wide Plan coordinated and managed by Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability is a major cross-departmental program to develop, implement, monitor and steward a long-range strategic plan to guide Vancouver to a bright, sustainable future looking out to 2050 and beyond. This transformative initiative advances and integrates policy areas across all disciplines of the City encompassing social, economic, environmental and cultural objectives through an over-arching lens of equity, reconciliation and resiliency. It will guide strategic planning and policy at the City in the future in alignment with Council, corporate and departmental policies, priorities, investments and actions.
This is an Planning Assistant III position initially assigned to the newly formed City-wide Plan integrated project team, Long-Range and Strategic Planning, PDS. As part of the project team this position will provide technical support to public engagement and policy development work for the city-wide plan, and other planning projects in Long-Range and Strategic Planning, as required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Planning Assistant III will perform a variety of technical work, including:
- Organizing workshops, public open houses, and other consultation events. Duties may include preparation of supporting materials such as presentation boards and materials, advertise events, and write bulletins, press releases, newsletters; as well as preparing mailing lists and presentation and informational graphics.
- Developing presentations and feedback materials for open houses, workshops, and for inclusion in Council reports; these can include visual presentations, open house boards, illustrative data and other formats.
- Maintaining and updating various project websites, responding to and tracking emails and other correspondence, and social media outreach.
- Statistical survey analyses tasks.
- Research studies including collecting and analyzing data on a variety of topics, mapping and built form analysis.
- Liaises with a variety of internal and external contacts on matters related to the work.
- Orders materials, maintains files and records.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the twelfth school grade or equivalent in a technical or vocational school, supplemented by or including courses in drafting, graphics or related courses.
- Sound experience as a Planning Assistant II is preferred or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Post-Secondary Degree in Planning and some planning experience or related university degree with experience related closely to the duties involved is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current and significant planning policies of the City of Vancouver as well as municipal development approval processes and regulations
- Ability to work independently and participate successfully on work teams, Aptitude in the technical aspects of planning work and be able to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgment.
- A proven ability to self-manage workload and meet time demands (e.g., prioritizes tasks, communicate expected time frames for the delivery of items with staff and request help when needed) is a requirement.
- Applicants must have strong interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal)
- Sound research and analytical abilities and an aptitude in the technical aspects of planning work.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and graphics programs (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) is required, and familiarity with GIS (e.g., MapInfo or ArcGIS) and other mapping software and 3D modelling software is an asset.
- Ability to work outside typical business hours to accommodate meetings and consultation initiatives.
A current and valid Class (appropriate class for position) BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: September 20, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: September 11, 2019, 1:02 pm
Expires: September 20, 2019, 11:59 pm