BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Utility Worker I
Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2019)
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Annacis Island Construction/Corrosion Yard
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking a Utility Worker I to join our team, willing to learn, take direction and be an integral part of our Construction and Corrosion Control Maintenance group.
You are: A self-starter with experience in construction, landscaping or a related field. Possess a mechanical aptitude and have experience with a variety of hand tools, power tools and equipment.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Assists operations and maintenance staff in performing tasks such as minor construction, building forms, mixing concrete, grounds maintenance, brush cutting, channel clearing, etc.
- Operates ancillary equipment such as trucks, small tractors, lawnmowers, brush saws, weed eaters.
- Operates compressors, pneumatic tools, electrical power tools, chain saws,
- Performs site preparation and painting work.
- Works in confined spaces and conducts safety monitor duties as required.
- Assists in leak and/or other emergency repairs.
- Obtains tools and parts from warehouses.
- Pickup and delivery from suppliers.
- Works in compliance with all District safety policies, procedures and Worksafe regulations.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Ability to operate power and pneumatic tools.
- Mechanical ability and construction aptitude.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and demonstrate safety awareness.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Physically capable of performing work duties and willingness and ability to perform shift work.
- Valid B.C. driver’s license.
Note: This position will progress to Utility Worker II after 5 years’ experience in this classification OR 3 years’ experience and completion of Sacramento State Water Supply or Water Treatment or Wastewater Collection or Wastewater Treatment Level 1 and 2 courses, or an equivalent level of training.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 24, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations,Construction
Posted: October 10, 2019, 1:02 pm
Expires: October 24, 2019, 4:30 pm