BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2019-68
Development and Engineering Services Division
Manager, Development and Deputy Approving Officer
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We invite applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Manager, Development and Deputy Approving Officer.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, this position will be responsible for the planning and organizing of development approvals through the engineering department in accordance with applicable legislation. Our ideal candidate will be experienced in building relationships at all levels of the organization, leading technical teams in a unionized environment and integrating various functions to meet common goals and objectives. In particular, this position requires working closely with our Planning Department.
In addition, the Manager, Development and Deputy Approving Officer will have considerable experience in presenting land use objectives to the development community, urban design and other policy solutions that advance the community’s current and long term goals and objectives. This position will assist the Approving Officer in the issuance of layout approvals and final approvals pursuant to Land Title Act, Local Government act and Community Charter. Experience working in local government is an asset.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in civil engineering or a related field.
- Registered member of the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC or the Association of Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC.
- Minimum 7 years of related knowledge and experience in complex development projects that involve engineering, site servicing, environmental solutions, planning, and municipal works.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive leadership with the ability to plan, review and supervise technical professional staff.
- Knowledge and experience in community planning principles, land use policy and regulations, and urban design.
- Knowledge and experience with the relevant legislation and processes related to subdivision of land is required.
- Demonstrated experience with forecasting, tracking and budget oversight.
- Proven leadership, organizational and public relations skills.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. October 24, 2019