BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2019-69
Development and Engineering Services Division
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We invite applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Manager, Infrastructure. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced and technically proficient individual with proven leadership skills to join the Engineering Department.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, this position will be responsible for the direct supervision, administration, planning, development and implementation for a significant annual capital expenditure portfolio. The successful candidate will lead technical staff, including the management of contractors, and various internal and external stakeholders.
In addition, the Manager, Infrastructure will provide procurement services and oversight of consultants; prepare and manage project, capital construction and annual budgets; create reports and presentations; review municipal works and services for private developments; attend and present at relevant council and public meetings or hearings. Experience working in local government an asset.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in civil engineering or a related field.
- Registered member of the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC or the Association of Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant post-diploma engineering experience, including a minimum of 5 years of land development experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership with the ability to plan, review and supervise technical professional staff.
- Knowledge and experience in application of municipal utility systems including wastewater collection and treatment, pumping, storm water management, water distribution storage and treatment.
- Knowledge and application of engineering standards, procurement, construction contract administration, construction inspection, construction safety and traffic management.
- Demonstrated experience with forecasting, tracking and budget oversight.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. October 24, 2019