BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Williams Lake
Aquatic Staff III
Community Services Department
CURRENT RATE OF PAY:
$29.25per hour plus benefits
HOURS OF WORK:
37.5 hours per week, pursuant to the Collective Agreement; Shift work as required
For lifestyle, Williams Lake’s mixture of frontier charm and urban living can’t be beat. We are a regional centre with all major amenities. Living and housing is very affordable with a range of residential opportunities from modern urban subdivisions and townhouses to large rural properties. The attractive mix of high-quality lifestyle and surrounding pristine wilderness playground makes Williams Lake a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Williams Lake offers year-round opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. In the winter, the Cariboo offers snowmobiling opportunities and amazing cross-country ski trails, as well as snowshoeing and ice fishing. Williams Lake, known across North America as the “Shangri-La of Mountain Biking”, boasts the largest mountain bike park in the British Columbia’s interior, and over 200 kilometres of single track trails and tens of thousands of board feet of lumber constructing a variety of riding features all within metres of the City. The lake city is a great base for hiking, camping, four-wheeling, waterskiing, swimming, golfing and sport fishing as well. Our indoor recreation facilities are first rate, with the Cariboo Memorial Recreational Complex offering a brand new leisure pool with waterslide, new lap pool, steam room, sauna, massive swirl pool along with two arena ice sheets, and a brand new fitness centre.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
This is an aquatic leadership position requiring highly skilled life guarding and instructional work. This position supports the work of the Aquatic Coordinator. The Aquatic Staff III position aids in the planning, implementation and operation of the programs and services offered in the Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex. Evaluation of programs and services is done in conjunction with the Manager of Recreation and the Aquatic Coordinator. Participation in scheduling staff, training and supervision of staff and evaluation of staff skills and abilities is an important role for this position.
The incumbent is responsible to Manager of Recreation under the direction of the Aquatics Coordinator.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs all the duties and responsibilities outlined in the Aquatic Staff II job description.
- Plays a key leadership, supervision and training role.
- Plans and implements Water Safety Instructor Training, Red Cross First Aid Courses and related swim programs as assigned, and inputting data into the current registration software.
- Performs administrative tasks including but not limited to: reviewing incident reports, statistical log reports and internet searches for unique and new programs as required.
- Orientation and training of aquatic staff in the expected standards of performance of all related tasks associated with lifeguarding, instruction and light janitorial tasks.
- Demonstrates behaviour consistent with being a role model for other staff, providing leadership, feedback on performance and training.
- Assists in the development of emergency procedures and safety guidelines of operating a swimming pool.
- Assists the Aquatic Coordinator with the development, implementation and evaluation of programs, special events and activities related to the department.
- Performs other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 19 years of age.
- Minimum Grade 12.
- Minimum two (2) years lifeguard and instructor experience.
- AED Certification
- CPR Level C or CPR Instructor
- Workplace BC Level One First Aid
- Must hold and keep current at least two of the following instructional certificates:
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- Life Saving Society NLS Instructor
- Red Cross or Life Saving Society Standard First Aid/CPR Instructor
- Life Saving Society Instructor Trainer
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively supervise, train and assist aquatic staff with swim lessons, emergency procedures and related aspects of an aquatic position.
- Ability to effectively deal with problems that may arise in the absence of the Aquatic Coordinator
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with supervisors, co-workers and general public.
- Thorough knowledge of programs and services provided by the department.
- Practices and maintains skills and recertifies awards prior to their expiry dates.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter outlining qualifications, experience, copies of applicable certifications, and letters of reference no later than 4:00 pm, November 18, 2019 to the attention of Ashley Williston, Director of Human Resources, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC, V2G 1N3 - Fax (250) 392-8484, or email email@example.com