BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Plan Checker 1
Regular Full Time
Job Id: 19-158
Salary: $29.60 - $34.86 per hour
Closing: November 24, 2019
Founded in 1874, Maple Ridge is one of BC’s oldest communities, but it’s also one of the fastest growing Cities in Metro Vancouver. This tremendous pace of growth creates opportunities for professionals like you to bring your passion and talents to our organization to build our future, your career and your family in one of the most incredible natural settings in BC
Your skills and talents are the essential element in helping our organization meet the challenges and opportunities of our community. This is a place where you can make a difference, serve your community with pride and professionalism and work with our elected representatives to turn their vision for our community into action. Are you ready to choose your own adventure?
Your key responsibilities are:
Plan checking tasks and duties relating to the processing of all permits. The Plan Checker I directly works with the Plan Checker II, assists in the activities and training in relation to reading of blue prints with the Building Department’s Development Services Technicians, monitors daily permit application status, checking plans for compliance with BC Building Code and municipal land use regulation and participates in general departmental activities; and maintains related permit files. With increasing experience the Plan Checker I will assist in issuing simple Building Permits and Sign Permits.
A little bit about you:
- Completion of High School supplemented by courses relating to the building code;
- BOABC Level I certification or an equivalent in experience relating to the processing of permits;
- Considerable experience relating to the processing of permits;
- Working experience as a municipal Plan Checker is preferred;
- Knowledge of municipal building and zoning by-laws and provincial building code-related regulations of the standard practices and materials employed in building construction; of the preparation and use of building plans and specifications; and the ability to interpret building construction plans accurately;
- The ability to manage a heavy workload and thrive in a fast-paced environment; and the ability to deal tactfully and effectively with contractors, designers, architects/engineers and the general public;
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License;
- Computer literacy in the MS Office Suite.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
What we offer you:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.