Grants

< Previous  Grant 6 of 78 Next >
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016

Community Wildfire Protection Plan Program

The Strategic Wildfire Prevention Working Group
Introduction:
The CWPP program assists local governments and First Nations in identifying the risks of wildfire to their community as well as opportunities to reduce those risks. The purpose of a CWPP is to identify the wildfire risks within and surrounding a community, to describe the potential consequences if a wildfire was to impact the community, and to examine possible ways to reduce the wildfire risk.

Eligible Projects:
In order to qualify for funding, local government applicants must consult with the MFLNRO Fuel Management Specialist, and First Nations applicants with a FNESS Fuel Management Liaison/Specialist, regarding the proposed project prior to submitting an application. This should include discussions of 2 overlapping CWPPs, recent activities on the landbase, consultation with the land manager (e.g. MFLNRO resource district or BC Parks) and Ministry plans. In addition, to qualify for funding, CWPPs must:
  • Be a new project (retroactive funding is not available)
  • Cover an eligible Area of Interest (AOI) (see Appendix 1)
  • Be completed on the 2017 CWPP Template
  • Cover areas that do not have a CWPP or areas where the CWPP is outdated due to changes in land, forest fuel hazards, Ministry plans or other factors
  • Be capable of completion by the applicant within one year from the date of grant approval
  • For elements of the CWPP that fall under the practice of forestry, be developed by a forest professional that is accredited by the Association of BC Forest Professionals
Grant Maximum:
The CWPP program can contribute a maximum of 75% of the cost of eligible activities – to a maximum of $22,500.00 - and the remainder (25%) is required to be funded through community contributions. 4 In consultation with the Fuel Management Specialist or Liaison, applications from regional districts or from local governments or First Nations that include multiple communities, are acceptable. In these cases, funding in excess of the maximum amount identified above may be considered. In order to ensure transparency and accountability in the expenditure of public funds, all other grant contributions for eligible portions of the project must be declared and, depending on the total value, may decrease the value of the grant.
Contact Name: Local Government Program Services, Union of BC Municipalities
Contact Phone: (250) 356-2947
Contact Email: swpi@ubcm.ca
Subject Area(s): Fire, Police, Emergency Preparedness
Last Reviewed: April 13, 2017, 11:34 am
Deadline: Friday, October 6, 2017
Back to Top