- Initial Review Form: August 1, 2019
- Application by invitation only: October 1, 2019
Who can apply1. All Canadian municipal governments
2. Their project partners, which includes:
- Private sector entities
- Indigenous communities
- Municipally owned corporations
- A regional, provincial or territorial organization delivering municipal services
- Non-governmental organizations
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Research institutes (e.g., universities)
Your capital project may involve any type of initiative, so long as it has the capacity to create transformative change in the energy, transportation, waste, water or land use sector (or a combination of those sectors). It must have the potential to address environmental challenges and change the way other municipalities operate and deliver municipal services. It must also have a solid business case and the ability to deliver strong environmental, financial and social benefits directly to your community or through replication in other municipalities.
Signature initiatives do not have pre-set environmental targets/thresholds because the projects are unique and evaluated on a case-by-case basis. We prefer projects that have built-in mechanisms to encourage replication and widespread adoption (e.g., innovative business models, partnership models, new financing mechanisms).
Examples of what you might implement include, but are not limited to:
- Advanced, emerging and adaptive technologies
- Innovative financing mechanisms and business models (e.g., property assessed clean energy programs, innovative utility charges)
- Capacity building programs that generate direct environmental benefits (e.g., green job skills training)
- Projects and programs that generate environmental, economic and other benefits for the broader community
- Enabling greater adoption of sustainable infrastructure (e.g., demonstrating new products such as shared electric autonomous vehicles, creating smart grid projects that enable more integration of renewable generation within the community)
We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer. We will re-evaluate this offer’s criteria in March 2021. If you apply before then, your application will not be affected.
- Regular loans and grants: Receive a low-interest loan of up to $5 million and a grant worth up to 15% of the loan; cover up to 80% of your eligible costs.
- High-ranking project loans and grants: These qualify for a low-interest loan of up to $10 million and a grant worth up to 15% of the loan; cover up to 80% of your eligible costs.
How to apply Contact us before you apply!
We will determine whether your capital project is eligible for funding, and if it is, you can follow these steps:
- Review the system requirements and instructions for using FCM's application forms, including details on how to submit your application.
- Review the prerequisites and required supporting documents.
- Review eligible and ineligible costs.
- Ensure you have a detailed project budget in place.
- Confirm that you’re securing other funding sources for your project:
- Sample Letter Confirming Consultation with Provincial/Territorial Government (a prerequisite for all applicants, except municipal governments in Quebec)
- Sample Letter from Confirmed Funding Sources (required for each contributing organization, including the lead municipality)
- Complete the initial review form.