BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Section Manager - Public Works
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Location: Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Section Manager - Public Works
Find out why our AMAZING employees love working for the City of Port Coquitlam!
Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award-winning values-based organization made up of a diverse and dedicated team of people who care deeply about the community they serve.
Port Coquitlam is a community of 61,000 which has a healthy base of businesses, new commercial and industrial areas, 271 hectares of parkland including the 25-km Traboulay PoCo Trail, agricultural lands, waterways, natural areas, well-established neighbourhoods, and a strong sense of community spirit known as PoCo Pride. It has a reputation for progressive governance and for its innovative approaches. Though Poco has experienced significant growth the City has retained its small-town charm, its authentic historic downtown core, and a tradition of community involvement. Poco strives to balance social, environmental and economic values while fulfilling citizen priorities.
What is your WHY?
Our commitment to each other and the community is to enrich the lives of all who live, learn, work and play in Port Coquitlam. We are looking for an individual whom has this purpose and whose behaviors are inspired by these values:
- What I do matters – everyone’s work makes a difference and impacts the organization
- Everyone is my customer – we provide an exceptional customer experience to each other and the community
- Everyone is my coworker – we support each other and collaborate across the organization
- Every idea matters – all ideas are welcome as we continually seek to improve
- We grow together – as we grow and develop as employees, we strengthen the organization.
The City of Port Coquitlam is looking for a positive, dynamic, innovative, results-oriented manager with exceptional people skills to join our management team. This is a chance to be an integral part of our contemporary, non-traditional structure designed to align strategy, business model, systems, procedures, and people to meet the evolving business objectives in Public Works. Reporting to the Manager of Public Works, the Section Manager roles are responsible for planning, coordinating, leading and managing all aspects of Public Works (Parks, Streets, Utilities, Fleet & Solid Waste) with a focus on: business planning, strategic initiatives, budgeting and analytics.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You lead by example
- You are passionate about all aspects of serving the Community
- You value innovation, creativity and inclusiveness
- You have a passion for people and are skilled at building positive working relationships at all levels of an organization and lead with social awareness
- You have strong analytical skills and a track record of implementing best practices and workplace improvements collaboratively
- You are a strong communicator with a focus on curiosity, and can confidently present technical information and data to a variety of audiences using a variety of mediums
- You can navigate new software with ease and excel in data extraction, transformation and analysis
- You have a sound understanding of accounting principles, practices, procedures, financial systems, data analysis and modeling
- You have the ability to solve complex issues through strategic and critical thinking.
Why should you consider working for us?
- We take our work seriously but not ourselves and have a positive attitude about the work we perform
- Our organization is the ideal size for you to make a difference and have an impact
- We believe in professional development as demonstrated by a generous education reimbursement plan
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including an indexed pension and competitive annual salary and embrace a holistic approach to work and life outside of work.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit their resumes, along with a one-page letter demonstrating how their qualifications and/or experience match the position online before Sunday, May 2nd, 2021 at www.portcoquitlam.ca/cityjobs quoting competition number 21-043e
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
The City of Port Coquitlam will conduct a criminal record check.
To apply click here
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset