BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Development Technologist 1
Temporary Full Time (12 months)
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam offers meaningful career opportunities to make a difference within the local community. As the sixth largest city in BC, we are home to more than 150,000 residents. Our diverse municipality is a great place to work as it continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre. We envision a bright future in Coquitlam that we hope includes you!
We are recruiting for a Development Technologist 1 to our Planning & Development team.
Working as part of the Development Services team, the successful incumbent will review and process the engineering servicing and related legal and financial aspects of development and building permit applications to ensure compliance with municipal engineering standards and requirements. These positions will work closely with developers/consultants and other City staff in the processing of these applications and other project tasks, as appropriate.
More specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Compiling, reviewing and completing engineering servicing requirements for subdivision, development permit, rezoning, OCP amendment and other related project tasks to ensure compliance with applicable by laws and requirements of the City pertinent to land development activities;
- Exercising and providing specialized and technical advice and direction; interpreting and explaining City policies, procedures, regulations, by laws and other requirements to developers/consultants, other City staff and the general public;
- Working with the Engineering Department staff to analyze existing water, storm and sanitary sewer systems to determine capacities and evaluate alternative servicing options and impact on existing Municipal services;
- Reviewing correspondence and reports, and drafting agreements specifying facts, findings, conclusions and/or recommendations, where appropriate; and
- Undertaking related duties as required.
Our ideal candidate will have a diploma or degree from a recognized a post-secondary Civil or Structural Engineering program plus sound related experience, preferably in a municipal environment, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Certification or eligibility for certification as an Applied Science Technologist within the Province of British Columbia or an equivalent combination of training and experience is desirable.
A valid BC Driver’s license is required.
Good people make Coquitlam great - sign up for career alerts through our recruitment portal to stay up to date about opportunities within our team, or follow us on LinkedIn to learn more about how #YouCouldWorkHere too!
The City offers a competitive salary ($37.12 - $43.82 per hour - CUPE 2022 rates) and an excellent benefits package. This position is based in Coquitlam with some flexible, remote work options available. The City has a vaccination policy in effect with requirements for all current and future employees.
Applicants under consideration may be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55 pm on January 28, 2022.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $37.12 to $43.82 Hour