BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Plumbing & Gas Inspector 1
If you are civic minded and interested in making an impact on people and businesses on the beautiful North Shore, consider working for the District of North Vancouver.
Home to vast parkland and attractions including Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon and Capilano Suspension Bridge, the District is inspired by nature, and enriched by people. The District offers exciting professional development opportunities and a competitive total compensation package including a compressed day off schedule (nine-day fortnight). This is an exciting time to join the District, as we embark on a range of initiatives to transform digital service delivery, customer experience, and our approach to climate action.
We are looking for a regular full-time Plumbing and Gas Inspector 1 to join our Development Services team.
- Inspect plumbing, sprinkler, heating, gas, sewer and drainage installations at various stages of completion to ensure that materials, grades, layouts, workmanship and related factors comply with applicable codes, regulations, standards, and bylaws.
- Check plans and specifications of inspected or proposed work to make technical decisions and interpret applicable regulations.
- Accept or reject plans and work inspected, and investigate and enforce changes and corrections.
- Provide technical advice, assistance, interpretation and information to owners, contractors, engineers and architects on matters related to the work.
- Issue permits, prepare reports, maintain records, handle correspondence, and respond to personal and phone enquiries.
- Thorough knowledge of plumbing, sprinkler, heating, gas fitting, sewer and drainage standards, codes, by-laws and regulations; and the methods, practices, tools and equipment used in the plumbing and gas fitting trades.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal departments/staff and owners, contractors, tradesmen, engineers, architects and the public in general to enforce rules and regulations with firmness and tact.
- Ability to examine, check and interpret plans and specifications and recognize requirements for plumbing, sprinkler, heating, gas, sewer and drainage installations and systems.
- Ability to estimate material costs and prepare reposts and correspondence and maintain records related to the work.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and assume responsibility for technical decisions.
Qualifications: Includes completion of Grade 12; Certificate of Registration as a Journeyman Plumber, Provincial Gas Fitters License, R.H.W.H.A. Design Certificate, Level 1 POABC Qualification, Gas Comp. Certificate (or ability to complete within six months), understanding of Residential Force Air Heating System as per “Quality First Program.” Able to use computer applications for reports and job tracking, a thorough knowledge of the applicable sprinkler, heating, plumbing, gas fitting, sewer and drainage regulations, standards and codes, supplemented by sound related journeyman experience and the ability to deal effectively with the public. Training and experience in fire sprinkler systems and cross-connection control is desirable. A valid BC Driver’s License is required.
The pay range for this unionized position is $41.16 - $48.64 per hour based on a 35-hour work week, with a comprehensive benefits plan, 3 weeks of vacation to start, and earned time off opportunities. If you are interested in this position, and have a passion to serve people and the community, we would like to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your cover letter and resume at https://careers.dnv.org by March 7, 2021 to be considered for this competition.
We thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. A criminal record check will be conducted by the District on successful candidates
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $41.16 Hour