BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Community Services Assistant 1 - Junior Leader - Before and After School Care
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
As part of the Community and Recreation Services Division, you’ll be working in a fast-paced, creative environment focused on delivering active, safe programs for children to develop their skills, while meeting new friends. The City of Surrey is a HIGH FIVE® registered organization. We are committed to ensuring that every child in our programs has a positive recreation experience. Our licensed Before and After Care programs incorporate outdoor play, engaging activities, a fun atmosphere, and a great place for children to spend their time before and after the school day. Spend the school year creating positive recreation experiences for children 5-13 years old.
Union - CUPE Local 402 – Auxiliary
We’re looking for enthusiastic individuals who enjoy working with children 5-13 years, and are:
- Flexible and able to quickly adapt to new environments and situations.
- Creative and passionate about play.
- Strong team players, focused on providing great customer service.
- Self-motivated and can take initiative with little supervision.
- Great communicators with the ability to work with people of all ages.
- Highly organized.
- Community Services Assistant 1 (Junior Leaders) are responsible for providing Before and After Care participants with an active, safe and stimulating environment to develop social skills and general well-being.
Before and after School Care is a Licensed program and the following are requirements of the position as per the Community Care and Assisted Living Act – Child Care Licensing Regulation:
Responsible adults (29)
To qualify for employment in a community care facility as a responsible adult, a person must:
- Be at least 19 years of age.
- Be able to provide care and mature guidance to children.
- Have completed a course, or a combination of courses, of at least 20 hours duration in child development, guidance, health and safety, or nutrition.
- Have relevant work experience.
Additionally, the Community Services Assistant 1 will have:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by some relevant experience in community service work or an equivalent acceptable combination of training and experience.
- High Five certification or an acceptable equivalent
- Current Emergency First Aid and CPR-C/AED certificates
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with program participants, volunteers, staff, and the public.
Applicants under consideration will be required to provide proof of qualifications and consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check. Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Please note: All City of Surrey employees are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the City of Surrey. Employees without proof of vaccination are required to participate in the City’s Rapid Testing Program and are responsible for all associated costs.
Learn more about the Employee, Volunteer and Contractor COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Employment Length: Casual
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset