BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Capital Budget Analyst
Finance & Technology – Financial Services
Status Regular Full time
Hours of Work 70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay $34.02 to $38.61 per hour
Review of applications begins 4:00pm on May 25, 2022, and will remain open until filled
The Capital Budget Analyst is responsible for capital budget and treasury processes, including capital project reporting, borrowing and investment accounting and supporting long term capital planning. This role is accountable for budget compilation and publications as well as treasury processes. This position assists Managers, the Senior Financial Advisors and CRD Staff by supporting with their capital budgeting and treasury requirements.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates and facilitates the capital budget cycle CRD.
- Supports and guides budget users and managers.
- Reviews, analyzes and verifies capital budget data and financial reports.
- Provides analysis and support the development of long term capital and asset management plans for various CRD departments
- Updates, analyses and distributes reserve cash flow analysis based on capital plan data.
- Prepares capital reporting information and analysis, for assessing adequacy of reserve funds and planning for infrastructure investment.
- Assists CRD departments in determining sustainment of asset through review of lifecycle management and funding expectation for replacements.
- Assists in funding shortfall and risk analysis of the CRD asset infrastructure as required.
- Researches and analyzes capital bylaws for capital projects by identifying funding sources, eligible grants, and planned expenditures. Budgeting and Project Application Modules
- Assists Analysts/Managers in project code design and set up and performs project reporting analysis.
- Researches and tests possible solutions/improvements and tests the integrity of the SAP programs – specific to capital reporting and data.
- Provides support for the CRD annual budget compilation and approval process.
- Jointly, updates and distributes budget preparation guidelines and templates.
- Prepares and distributes budget packages for Department/Committee/Commission/Board review.
- Assists with the preparation of the CRD final budget requisition for Board approval.
- Ensures service area information, B.C. Assessment Authority data and maximum requisition amounts are accurate and complete.
- Maintains back-up information for the 5 year capital plan bylaw.
- Prepares Financial Plan Summaries for internal and external use including award applications.
- Maintains the CRD debt portfolio process.
- Loads final budget numbers into SAP Planning and Financial reporting modules.
- Records all debt and investment related transactions, maintains all borrowing and investment records and supports related analysis.
- Prepares invoices for municipalities for their share of the MFA invoice and payments for share of any cash distributions of long-term debt.
- Creates adjusting entries, prepares cheque requisitions for the payment of CMHC debt.
- Creates new master data required to administer new debt for the CRD and CRHD.
- Provides quarterly and year-end financial and variance analysis.
- Analyses and prepares year-end financial working papers as required.
- Researches, analyses, reconciles and prepares reports as requested.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD
Performs other related duties as required.
- University degree in a related discipline such as Business or Accounting and/or enrollment in the CPA program with a minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience in budget preparation and reconciliation procedures or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System analytical and implementation experience, preferably with SAP
- Ability to evaluate business processes and systems and recommend improvements or changes in a large complex financial environment.
- Skills and ability to assist in the development, integration and sustainment of an enterprise financial system
- Working knowledge of financial accounting, planning, budgeting, cost allocation and accounting principles and practices
- Strong working knowledge of budget preparation and reconciliation procedures
- Demonstrated skills in preparing and analyzing financial reports and statements
- Advanced spreadsheet and word processing skills.
- Strong initiative and sound judgment skills
- Good organization skills
- Ability to work with minimum direction under pressure, meet deadlines and to determine and meet ever changing priorities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment
To keep our employees, customers and the communities we serve safe, the CRD has introduced an employee vaccination policy intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. As such, the CRD requires verification of your COVID-19 vaccination status as a condition of employment.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”. To learn more about working with us, visit our website.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 3 years to less than 5 years
Rate: $34.02 to $38.61 Hour