BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Richmond
Project Planning Technician
Department Project Development
Division Engineering & Public Works
Job ID 2022-0280
The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
The Project Planning Technician is part of the Project Development team that leads and supports departmental implementation of project quality assurance, best practices, and effective project records management. The Project Planning Technician contributes to the successful completion of Building Improvement, Infrastructure Replacement and Capital projects and transfers valued information into the maintenance phase of a facility.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate commissioning activities, in the project planning, execution, and completion phases.
- Review project scope and drawings with Facility Building Maintenance Coordinators and other staff regarding access and location of equipment at the project close-out stage.
- Assist the Project Managers/ Project Coordinators in determining formatting of required documentation for records.
- Assist in the development and delivery of the annual Building Improvement and Infrastructure Replacement programs.
- Assist with development of Capital projects.
- Liaise with internal and external clients to ensure that documentation supplied is completed in proper form.
- Maintain the project records system including: developing and implementing classification categories; auditing and monitoring document profiles; and training staff on the appropriate records process and procedure.
- Oversee the work of staff entering and updating records to ensure that they follow established procedures and standards.
- Create project estimates using RSMeans for program planning and customer requests.
- Compile building drawings using REDMS by request and for annual facility assessments.
- Add and update building/equipment assets within IPS for all new and existing City facilities.
- Research and provide information regarding industry standard maintenance procedures and life cycle expectancy for building assets.
- Perform continual evaluation and improvement of project planning and commissioning process.
- Assist with regular internal, interdepartmental training sessions on departmental processes and multiple computer programs such as IPS, VFA, JOC and REDMS.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the City of Richmond policies, procedures, and practices with an ability to apply these to the work being performed and ensure that documentation is being accurately collected and entered into various software systems such as Richmond Enterprise Document Management System (REDMS), VFA and IPS.
- Knowledge of building infrastructure and maintenance.
- Knowledge of records management for maintaining information in the project record system and document management software
- Ability to assign work, provide leadership and direction to auxiliary staff and contractors.
- Ability to learn and maintain skills and knowledge related to GIS data entry, and REDMS.
- Ability to research and assemble required information and data from a variety of sources and records.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize tasks and complete multiple projects while meeting varying deadlines.
- Ability to assist and train staff members that require access to project records through the City's document management system.
- Ability to use and maintain equipment for scanning and printing documents.
- Ability to use standard formats and styles to prepare original written communication and occasionally make brief, informal presentations to colleagues.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety internal and external clients and customers.
- Skill in the operation of Microsoft Office Suite including Access, Word, Excel, MS Project and Outlook.
- Knowledge of how to access, read and interpret reports from the City's financial management system
Qualifications and Experience:
Completion of a one (1) year program in Building Engineering Technology, Building Maintenance, Building Trades Certificate, Records/Document Management or another related field supplemented by a minimum of one (1) year experience working in building construction, trades and/or design and/or experience in project management and project coordination. Must have some experience with records or documents management. Project Management Pofessional (PMP) credential is preferred. Leadership in Energy and Envrionmental Design (LEED) Certification and/or Facility Management Program (FMP) certification would be considered an asset. An equivalent combination of education, experience, and/or training may be considered.
Majority of work is performed in an office environment which requires routine visual effort reading, editing and creating plans while working at a computer terminal. Routine site visits for project work may involve exposure to noisy and dirty conditions.
Employee Group: CUPE Local 718
Position Status: Regular Full-Time
Duration of Appointment: NA
Salary Range: $31.82 - $37.40
Hours of Work: 8:15am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday on compressed work-week schedule.
Application Posted: 8/5/22
External Closing Date: 8/19/22
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Job Experience: 1 year to less than 2 years
Rate: $31.82 to $37.40 Hour