BC Local Government Job Posting Service
District of Kitimat
Water and Sewer Treatment Technician
Regular, Full Time
The District of Kitimat is recruiting for a Water and Sewer Treatment Technician. Under the supervision of the Utilities Department Leader, operates, maintains, inspects and monitors the water distribution and treatment systems, wastewater collection and treatment systems, and related equipment and infrastructure.
Located in Northwest BC, Kitimat is a master-planned greenbelt community and home to just over 8,000 residents. Kitimat provides a stable tax base and is experiencing growth from increased levels of industrial, residential, and commercial development. We are in the process of upgrading our water treatment system, and this position will play an important role in both start up and operations.
This position offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, professional development opportunities, complimentary use of our recreation facilities, relocation assistance and a one-year rental subsidy.
- Operating, maintaining, inspecting and monitoring the water distribution and treatment systems, wastewater collection and treatment systems, and related equipment and infrastructure.
- Performing a variety of tasks related to utility systems such as checking chlorine residuals, turbidity, pH, pipe repairs, and water sampling.
- Checking and recording flows, hours, through put, chemical usage, dosing rates, effluent discharges for a variety of pumps in a number of locations, noting anomalies and taking corrective action.
- Providing input and participating in the water treatment upgrade project and operations once complete.
- Carrying out inspections, preventative maintenance, repair and overhaul of equipment related to water and sewer utilities.
- Using SCADA system to obtain full water and sewer system status updates.
- Performing seasonal snow removal as required.
- Certification under the Environmental Operators Certification Program:
- Water Distribution Level 2 with the ability to obtain a Level 3 within one year
- Water Treatment Level 2 with the ability to obtain a Level 3 within one year
- Wastewater Collection Level 1
- Wastewater Treatment Level 1
- Chlorine Handler certification
- Class 5 driver’s license, class 3 preferred
- WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, and Confined Space Entry and Watch
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Ability to inspect, analyze, and troubleshoot the operations of water/sewer systems and facilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, coordinate the work of a crew, understand and convey technical information, and perform job specific math calculations.
Wage Information: $47.50 per hour, 40 hours per week
At the District of Kitimat, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve, establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please email us at [email protected] and we will work with you on arranging an accommodation where possible that is suitable for your abilities.
To apply for this position, please submit a detailed resume and cover letter to [email protected] This position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about Kitimat, visit Kitimat Bound and Youtube
To learn more about our water treatment pilot plant, watch this video.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $47.50 Hour