BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Property & Payment Services Manager
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
This position is responsible for managing the business operations while partnering with the Deputy Property and Payment Manager, this position will be responsible for managing and coordinating complex business processes involving multiple stakeholders for all the City’s billings and collections for property taxes, utility and other revenue sources to ensure the City takes full advantage of business‐driven functionalities and related technologies. This position involves complex financial, customer service, team leadership skills and support related to property and payment services for the City.
Exempt – Regular Full‐Time
- Develop and maintain processes and procedures which ensure that billing and revenue collections are administered in accordance with statutory requirements, City bylaws, processes and procedures.
- Oversee the Internal control and processing of funds related to Utilities and other revenue collected at various City locations.
- Have experience and attention to detail in the application of the Community Charter and other relevant statutes.
- Direct and lead professional and clerical staff including performance evaluations.
- Leading a team to implement operational improvements and maintain efficiencies. Make ongoing recommendations for operational improvements and efficiencies.
- Consult with City management and staff across departments to ensure development of best practices and standards related to utilities and other revenue collections; and
- Inform management and staff of new and/or revised relevant City and Departmental policies and procedures related to Utilities or other revenue processes.
- Foster a pragmatic perspective by encouraging and facilitating open dialogue around emerging technology and its application to business solutions in the City;
- Prepares year end and other working papers and assists with preparation of financial statements
- Responsible for detailed financial information related to property taxes, utilities, and other revenue collections
- Determining and overseeing consistent testing, evaluation, and troubleshooting Tempest Software
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Accounting or a related discipline from a recognized post‐ secondary institution and a minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible related experience, or an acceptable equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- CPA designation is preferred.
- Knowledge of Local Government and Tempest Software is an asset.
- Proven record of successfully developing and executing complex interdepartmental initiatives.
- Keen ability to analyze and interpret financial data, draw conclusions and prepare clear and concise reports and make recommendations.
- Perform work with a high degree of accuracy and critical thinking.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with senior management, staff, various levels of government and outside agencies, and the general public.
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and oral.
- Analytical and creative with the ability to drive innovative technology, process improvement, and streamline processes to improve services.
- High‐level of organization and time management skills and takes action to move issues to closure under tight timelines.
- Innovative and service‐orientated problem solver that deals effectively and tactfully on all matters with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, assign and evaluate the work of subordinate employees within a unionized environment.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more