BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Regional District of Central Okanagan
Chief Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Do you have the ability to lead and influence a team and have strong conflict resolution, organization and problem-solving skills paired with the ability to navigate sensitive situations in a diplomatic manner? If so, we want you on our Community Services Team!
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for providing oversight, coordination and enforcement of bylaws and programs which support efforts to create a healthy environment in which all people throughout the region enjoy a high quality of life with access to safe neighbourhoods. You will:
- Provide oversight, coordination and enforcement of bylaws and associated programs.
- Supervise Bylaw, Weeds, Insect and Dog Control staff and promote a positive work environment.
- Supervise Dog Control operations to ensure the effective enforcement of dog control bylaws. This includes developing procedures and policies, facilitating team meetings, supervising the dog pound facility and assisting veterinarians with euthanasia.
- Investigate applicable bylaw complaints.
- Assist in the preparation of operating and capital budgets, and report on performance measures.
- Respond to legal inquiries, prepare legal documents and Board reports and present to the Regional Board as required.
- Oversee Bylaw Adjudication, Long Form Information and Municipal Ticket Information files and court processes.
- In consultation with the Manager and Director, act as the lead officer contact with the Regional District solicitor(s) with regard to bylaw enforcement issues.
- Represent the RDCO and liaise with community partners such as Local Governments, First Nation Governments, SPCA, other animal rescue agencies and the RCMP.
- Review annual budget ensuring all cost code centers remain within budget and forecast planning and initiatives for the Bylaw and Dog Control Programs.
- Assist Protective Services Manager during absences with oversight of the Protective Services Branch.
- Other duties as assigned.
We are looking for someone who has a minimum of 5 years experience as a Bylaw Enforcement Officer and 3 years of proven supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment with the ability to lead and influence staff and management across all levels of the organization. You will have a diploma in public administration, law enforcement, communication, business or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. In addition, you will have experience in civil court proceedings, Level II Bylaw Enforcement Certificate or equivalent and a valid BC driver’s license. You will have well developed written and verbal communication and presentation skills, the ability to remain calm under pressure and strong proficiency in MS office.
This position will work 35 hours/week, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Regional District of Central Okanagan offers a variety of perks from dental, health and vision benefits, paid vacation, pension plan, training and development, opportunities for advancement, work-life balance, on-site parking, and the opportunity to contribute and make a change within the community.
View the full job description and apply at rdco.com/jobs by Sunday, October 16, 2022.
The Regional District of Central Okanagan is an employer of choice made up of a dedicated team of people who care about the community we serve. We are located in one of the most desirable places to live in BC, in the heart of the Okanagan Valley. The appeal of Okanagan Lake and the natural beauty of the surroundings continue to draw people to the valley. Our lifestyle is second to none especially for those who live to enjoy the outdoors.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: 5 years or more