BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Senior Manager, Subdivision
Exempt, Full Time
At the City of Abbotsford our people are our greatest asset. We offer a wide range of diverse, stimulating and rewarding career opportunities that support and recognize high levels of performance. In Abbotsford, we work strongly to create a challenging yet rewarding environment for our employees to thrive. We invite you to become part of a place that has strong corporate and organizational values, rewarding career paths, challenging opportunities, and an engaging and dynamic team to work with.
Be part of the story. Join our team today.
The City of Abbotsford is currently offering an exciting opportunity in our Development Planning Department for a dynamic, self-motivated professional with proven leadership skills, energy and creativity in the new role of Senior Manager, Subdivision. Upon appointment by Council this position will act as the City’s Approving Officer. As an integral team player, you will be part of achieving the vision of Abbotsford as the most sustainable, livable, and prosperous City in British Columbia for the rapidly growing City. Are you up for the challenge of joining our team of highly motivated professionals to build the future success of Abbotsford through key partnerships of stakeholders, including the development industry? If so, we want to hear from you!
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide professional planning expertise on complex and diverse projects in the development and achievement of the community’s goals;
- Policy development and research;
- Interacting with development proponents, the public, staff from various City departments and government agencies and Council;
- Providing leadership to other planning staff through coaching, resolving interpretation matters, and providing guidance on day-to-day procedural and operational issues;
- Managing complex development and strategic development approvals; and
- Being a problem-solver with excellent written and verbal communication skills and be expected to develop innovative solutions and approaches to reconcile planning challenges.
In order to be considered for this position you must have:
- A minimum of 8 years of development planning experience preferably with a local government;
- A Masters in Urban Planning or an equivalent combination of experience with undergraduate degree in a related field(s);
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Local Government Act, Land Title Act, Strata Property Act and all other rules and regulations concerning subdivision and land development;
- Membership or eligibility for full membership in the Planning Institute of BC is preferred; and
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and laws applicable to the planning profession.
To address increases in development activity in the region, the City has added several new positions to the Development Planning Division. At the City of Abbotsford we work strongly to create a challenging and rewarding environment for our employees to thrive. We offer ongoing personal and professional development opportunities, competitive compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply, please visit us online at www.abbotsford.ca/careers
The City of Abbotsford is committed to creating a workplace that fosters a culture of diversity and inclusion by attracting, retaining and developing a talented and diverse workforce which broadly reflects the community and citizens we serve. As such, we encourage applications from individuals from all genders, backgrounds and underrepresented groups. We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Closing Date: Jan 13, 2023
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Master’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more