BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Engineering Technologist - Projects
Status: Regular Full Time
Salary: $41.80 - $49.39 per hour
Closing: December 11, 2022
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
The City of Maple Ridge’s Engineering Administration Department is seeking a diversely skilled professional to join their growing technical team.
Under the general direction of a professional engineer, the Engineering Technologist- Projects will prepare and review design layouts, detailed drawings, specifications, and related data for the construction of municipal infrastructure. You will also be responsible for the management of consultants and contractors, oversee the hiring process and management of design work done by consultants. Oversee the tendering process and contract administration of projects.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a Diploma in Civil and Structural Technology, including or supplemented by courses in project management, plus considerable related experience preferably in a municipal setting; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of municipal design and engineering standards relative to all aspects of land servicing and of the rules, regulations, by‑laws and policies pertaining thereto.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in construction and installation of municipal Design and Construction.
- Considerable knowledge of engineering mathematics, and of municipal engineering plans, specifications, contract documents and data related to the work.
- Sound knowledge of the fundamentals of budgeting and standard costing procedures as related to engineering programs and operations.
- Ability to administer specific projects related to the construction and installation of municipal Design and Construction.
- Ability to act as a liaison and coordinator for design and construction projects.
- Ability to review, analyze, assess and interpret plans, specifications, contracts and other material related to the work.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully and maintain cooperative working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external contacts and to direct the work of assigned staff on projects as required.
LICENCES AND CERTIFICATES
Eligibility for membership with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of B.C.
The successful candidate will play a key role in:
- project management, organization and planning;
- prepares request for proposals, participate in the review and selection of consultants;
- design review, cost estimating, contract preparation and review, and tendering;
- monitor construction to ensure compliance with plans and related specifications;
- infrastructure (Design and Construction section) systems monitoring, investigation, analysis, studies and planning
- inspection of construction works in various facets of civil engineering;
- prepares project schedules and monitors budgets and scope;
- maintain and update computerized models and databases;
- respond to and establish effective relationships with contractors, consultants and other internal and external stakeholders;
- function in an office environment and out at construction sites.
Does the following describe you?
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a diploma or degree in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent education;
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Related courses such as certification in project management or contract administration is an asset;
- Design and construction experience;
- Knowledge of the Master Municipal Construction Document (MMCD)
- Familiarity with CAD and modelling software as well as GIS mapping and asset reporting;
- Professional Engineering status with Engineer & Geoscientists of B.C.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing with a variety of individuals;
- A commitment to service excellence and continuous improvement;
- Professional Engineers will also be considered
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting [email protected].
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $41.80 to $49.39 Hour