BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Transportation Co-op Student
Are you interested in applying your talents and knowledge and gaining valuable experience? The City of Abbotsford has a four-month co-op opportunity starting May 2023, with an hourly wage of $17.67 – $22.52 dependent on year of study. The Transportation co-op supports the Traffic Engineer and Transportation Planning Engineer and has the potential to take on additional responsibilities depending on your interests and skillset. If you are goal-oriented, accountable, and have a strong desire to contribute, we want to hear from you.
This position will work from Abbotsford City Hall located at 32315 South Fraser Way.
What you’ll Do:
- Reviewing list of pedestrian crossings and updating after site visits.
- Conducting pedestrian counts and calculating crossing opportunities.
- Conducting pedestrian warrants for crosswalks.
- Conducting traffic counts at intersections.
- Analyzing intersections and producing traffic signal time of day plans.
- Rural intersection reviews.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Currently enrolled in a cooperative education program at a post-secondary institution and returning to school full-time in the subsequent academic year
- Basic knowledge of pedestrian and cycling best practices.
- Ability to write and compile technical reports.
- Experience working with the public.
- Intermediate experience with MS Office.
- Apply through our website at www.abbotsford.ca/careers
- A cover letter, resume and transcript are required.
- In your cover letter, state why you are suitable for the role.
- Submit all documents in one file (system accepts Word or PDF files).
- References will be required as part of the recruitment process.
- The posting will close at 5:00pm on the closing date of the competition.
Abbotsford, “The Hub of the Fraser Valley” is continually striving to grow its dynamic and diverse community. Abbotsford is known for its innovation, knowledgeable workforce, sustainability, broadband and digital equity which is why we are recognized as one of the top 7 intelligent communities in the world.
Abbotsford is a diverse community made up of many different ethnic and cultural groups where 23% of the population is of South Asian descent. The dominant age groups for the City of Abbotsford are 20 to 29 years and by residents 40 to 49 years. Abbotsford is one of the country’s most culturally diverse communities with more than 50 languages spoken within the community.
Be part of the story and join our team today.
Closing date: February 15, 2023.
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $17.67 to $22.52 Hour