BC Local Government Job Posting Service
District of Invermere
The District of Invermere has an opening for a Utility Clerk in the Finance Department which is a full-time position consisting of 35 hours per week.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the position assists in ensuring the financial solvency of the corporation by implementing systems, collecting utility fees, ensuring accurate payments on accounts, and providing exceptional customer service.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Finance, the Utility Clerk coordinates and maintains effective records and systems to support the issuance of utilities invoices, collections, and the issuance of receipts in accordance with the District’s bylaws and procedures. The Utilities Clerk also prepares reports and remittances associated with the above, assists with annual audit requirements, and assists with front counter inquiries and provides general clerical support to other departments.
- Ensure accuracy of invoices, receipts, and adjustments.
- Apply monthly penalties (when required).
- Ensure collection of all outstanding utility invoices.
- Ensure coordination and accuracy of water meter readings.
- Use and maintain applicable software program to remotely read water meters.
- Update ownership and/or address information.
- Provide utility billing information to customers.
- Maintain direct debit list for payment of utilities.
- Ensure work orders are submitted to Public Works & Operations staff for utility accounts.
- Follow up on all work orders with Public Works & Operations staff.
- Create utility billing adjustments when required, for approval by the Supervisor.
- Prepare daily bank deposits.
- Process accounts receivable for business licenses.
- Serve as point of contact for accounts receivable for utilities inquiries.
- Maintain building permit, business license, and cemetery records for the District using VADIM software.
- Provide back-up support to other office functions as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Working knowledge of Local Government legislation and regulations (BC) and knowledge of Employment Standards Act and relevant human rights regulations.
- Able to exercise sound judgement in the interpretation and application of related regulations, policies, and procedures (federal, provincial, and local).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team focused.
- Demonstrated ability to handle a complex and varied workload, and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to complete tasks accurately and quickly with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service
LICENCES, CERTIFICATES AND REGISTRATIONS:
- Three years of recent experience in a similar position would be preferred.
- Experience working in a Local Government setting would be an asset.
- Excellent working knowledge of current Microsoft Office programs.
Preferred Qualifications and Desirable Skills
- Experience with Utility Billing systems
- 2-year diploma/certificate from a recognized College or Institution with an emphasis on Local Government Administration OR a Local Government Service Delivery Certificate
- Experience with VADIM software
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) would be considered an asset
This position is within C.U.P.E. 2982 bargaining unit. The current wage rate for this position falls within the range of $32.05 - $32.97 per hour plus benefits as detailed in the Collective Agreement. The Utility Clerk position is expected to work 35 hours per week Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
A job description for this position is available but is currently under review.
Persons interested in applying for this position are invited to submit their resumes by 2:00 pm on Friday, June 9th, 2023 to:
District of Invermere
Attn: Kindry Luyendyk, Corporate Officer
Box 339, Invermere, BC, V0A 1K0
Email: [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Job Experience: 3 years to less than 5 years
Rate: $32.05 to $32.97 Hour