BC Local Government Job Posting Service
District of Sechelt
Executive Assistant to Mayor and CAO
Nature of the Position
Due to recent internal advancement within the organization, the District of Sechelt is seeking an Executive Assistant (EA) to Mayor and Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). Under the general direction of the Director of Corporate and Community Services and reporting to the Mayor and CAO, the EA will be responsible for a broad range of administrative support duties. These include, but are not limited to, calendar management, drafting correspondence, research, assisting with special projects, expense account reconciliations and taking minutes. This is an incredible opportunity to make an impact in the community and advance your career in municipal government.
The ideal candidate for this role is highly organized with a flexible and proactive nature, who effectively anticipates and executes the administrative needs of the Mayor and CAO. With exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, the EA will facilitate information flow, and develop strong stakeholder relationships. Utilizing their exceptional attention to detail and business writing skills, the EA will skillfully prepare confidential and general correspondence. As an ambassador of the Mayor and CAO, the EA requires professional and political acumen and will positively represent the District both internally and externally. The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A degree in Public Sector Administration, Business Administration or a related field from a post- secondary institution
- Three plus years of experience providing administrative support, in a municipal government is preferred
- The ability to assess and manage multiple competing priorities, assignments, and tasks
- The ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment; maintain confidentiality; and write professional correspondence and reports
- The ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines; demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills while exhibiting tact and diplomacy
- Knowledge of how to properly handle confidential and politically sensitive subject matter specific to local government
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher), Adobe Acrobat, and other computer software and tele-conferencing applications, (in a municipal government setting would be an asset)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong minute-taking skills and a minimum typing speed of 60 wpm
- A class 5 drivers’ licence with clean abstract
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practices
Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
The ideal candidate will have five plus years of executive assistant experience (or equivalent) as well as experience working with elected officials and senior staff in a local government environment.
This is an exempt position offering a competitive salary and attractive benefits package. Hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday; however, flexibility is required to work evenings and weekends when necessary. The District supports employment equity in accordance with the Human Rights Code of B.C.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at www.sechelt.ca/careers, or submit a cover letter and resume to Julia Wood, HR Advisor via email to [email protected]
This competition closes at 4:30 PM on Monday, June 5, 2023
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 3 years to less than 5 years