BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Occupational Health & Safety Specialist
(Permanent Full Time)
Located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation, and arts amenities. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities, and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive, and livable community.
The West Vancouver Human Resources & Payroll Division is currently seeking a permanent full-time Occupational Health & Safety Specialist, to join our highly qualified team. Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing all safety policies, programs, and procedures consistent with COR requirements and the Workers’ Compensation Act and Occupational Safety and Health Regulation;
- Providing occupational health & safety expertise through consultation and support to employees and managers;
- Supporting departments & Safety Committees in all areas pertaining to workplace health & safety;
- Assessing health & safety risk and controls, and communicating risk to all levels of organization;
- Providing innovative improvement & efficiencies for safety management;
- Networking and building relationships with internal and external stakeholders/agencies (which would include industry associations, other public sector organizations, WSBC, employers, and labour representatives) in a manner that builds trust, credibility and rapport;
- Ensuring that practices are consistent and comply with legislation, collective agreements, administrative regulations, policies and procedures;
- Investigating and reporting workplace accidents to WorkSafeBC;
- Pro-actively collaborating with colleagues within the Human Resources & Payroll Services division;
- Researching, developing and delivering occupational health & safety training;
- Tracking, analysing and reporting safety data; and
- Participating in other duties and special projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- Occupational Health and Safety Diploma or a degree plus 5-7 years’ of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience with establishing OHS policies from the ground up;
- Thorough knowledge of COR requirements and relevant legislation (Human Rights Code, Workers Compensation Act, WorkSafe BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulations);
- Strong knowledge of provincial and federal health & safety legislation;
- Experience in a public sector unionized work environment.
The successful candidate will be accountable for planning, developing and implementing occupational health & safety programs and policies to maintain COR Certification. This is a hands-on role for an experienced, enthusiastic self-starter with a passion for occupational health and safety, and interest and/or experience in Human Resources and/or Labour Relations.
The successful candidate is required to supply a Police Information Check and a copy of their credentials. A personal vehicle and a valid BC Driver’s License are required. Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation will be considered a strong asset.
Exempt – Permanent Full-Time
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay:
$87,600-98,600 per year (2022 rates)
Open until filled
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more
Rate: $87,600.00 to $98,600.00 Year