BC Local Government Job Posting Service
One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
City of Delta
Would you like to be part of a vibrant local government organization that is embarking on a number of exciting housing initiatives and deals with a wide diversity of development applications? Are you a service-oriented individual who would like to contribute your expertise and thrives in a fast- paced environment? The City of Delta is seeking enthusiastic project leaders with professional planning and/or urban design experience. These Planner 2 roles will be for individuals who are excited at the prospect of helping to shape the City’s future growth as the City is currently driving forward bold housing initiatives in response to Delta’s Housing Action Plan and new provincial legislation.
Portfolio assignments may vary:
- Development planning – project management and processing of development applications of a moderate to complex nature, including multi-unit residential, mixed use, major industrial, agricultural and commercial projects;
- Urban design – providing urban design and landscape reviews of complex development applications and proposals, developing urban design concepts and design guidelines for use in major planning projects, and the processing of development applications of a moderate to complex nature; and
- Community planning – leading major community planning initiatives including Official Community Plan and housing policy updates, bylaw development for new forms of housing, application process improvements, agricultural and heritage planning and more.
Although some roles are currently development-focused and geared towards implementation of housing initiatives and delivery of new housing; the successful candidates may support community planning in the development of housing policies as well as other projects and initiatives aligned with Council priorities as needed. Workload would be assigned based on both your skill-set and departmental needs.
The ideal candidates will be team players, critical thinkers, organized project managers, self-starters, and strong communicators who can represent the Department. In addition to a degree in an appropriate discipline and, preferably, a postgraduate degree in Planning, Urban Design or Landscape Architecture or related fields, ideal candidates should have:
- In-depth knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques and methods applicable to contemporary land use planning and urban design.
- Considerable experience processing and providing comprehensive technical review comments for development applications of various types and complexity. The Urban Design role will include an emphasis on the provision of comments on public realm, landscape and architectural aspects of development proposals.
- The Community Planning role will require significant experience in housing, policy and bylaw development with local government.
- A strong track record of successfully providing project oversight and management, including the supervision of professional or technical staff and external consultants, and coordination of multi-disciplinary teams as needed.
- Strong communications skills with significant experience in public engagement and consultation, and the ability communicate effectively and explain technical concepts and plans to the general public.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable regulations, policies, by-laws and legislation applicable to land use planning in British Columbia and the City of Delta.
- Expertise working in a local government setting or a field directly related to community planning, urban land use and development, including the ability to prepare reports and recommendations on a variety of planning projects, programs and policies.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia and the Canadian Institute of Planners is required. In addition, membership or eligibility for membership in the British Columbia Society of Landscape Architecture and/or the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects is also considered an asset for an Urban Design portfolio. This position requires a valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $53.91-$63.84 per hour (commensurate with experience) and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition #24-60 EX by March 11, 2024.
The City of Delta’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy has been suspended, however, we reserve the right to reinstate it in response to changes in the public health landscape, including public health orders. We are committed to the protection, health, and safety of our employees and our community, and our Communicable Disease Plan and related protocols remain in place.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application. Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $53.91 to $63.84 Hour