Capital Project: Signature initiativeFederation of Canadian Municipalities
DescriptionOur signature initiative funding (combined loans and grants) helps Canadian cities and communities of all sizes implement bold environmental projects that reduce GHG emissions and protect the air, water or land. This funding is designed to accommodate transformative, best-in-class municipal projects, meaning they’re highly innovative and impactful.
1. All Canadian municipal governments
2. Their project partners, which includes:
- Private sector entities
- Indigenous communities
- Municipally-owned corporations
- A regional, provincial or territorial organization delivering municipal services
- Non-governmental organizations
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Research institutes (e.g., universities)
- Regular loans and grants: Receive a low-interest loan of up to $5 million and a grant worth up to 15% of the loan; cover up to 80% of your eligible costs.
- High-ranking project loans and grants: These qualify for a low-interest loan of up to $10 million and a grant worth up to 15% of the loan; cover up to 80% of your eligible costs.
How to Apply
We will determine whether your capital project is eligible for funding, and if it is, you can follow these steps:
- Review the system requirements and instructions for using FCM's application forms, including details on how to submit your application.
- Review the prerequisites and required supporting documents.
- Review eligible and ineligible costs.
- Ensure you have a detailed project budget in place.
- Confirm that you’re securing other funding sources for your project:
- Sample Letter Confirming Consultation with Provincial/Territorial Government (a prerequisite for all applicants, except municipal governments in Quebec)
- Sample Letter from Confirmed Funding Sources (required for each contributing organization, including the lead municipality)
- Complete the initial review form.